US Navy destroyer without power for four days in South China Sea

A US Navy guided-missile destroyer was without power for four days last month in the South China Sea, knocking out the ship’s toilets, galley service and air-conditioning systems. The sailors of the nearly 10,000-ton warship were left without power in the scorching heat.

The US 7th Fleet said the incident was caused by an engineering fault on the ship. The incident has raised fresh questions about the navy’s capabilities, as the country’s navy is under increasing pressure due to the war with Iran and US military responsibilities around the world.

The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold was on routine operations in the Indo-Pacific region on July 24 when the ship experienced a “technical failure” in its generator, Commander Matthew Comar, a spokesman for the 7th Fleet, told CNN.

After the power went out, the ship lost its ability to move on its own. Its kitchen services, toilets, air conditioning system, and potable water supply were also disrupted.

Comar said that no sailors on the ship were injured in the incident. The sailors showed determination, professionalism and composure in dealing with the situation.

The cause of the ship’s power outage is still under investigation. The incident was first reported by US news outlet USNI News, which reported that the incident occurred in the South China Sea.

In late July, daytime temperatures in the South China Sea averaged 89 to 98 degrees Fahrenheit, or 32 to 37 degrees Celsius. As a result, it was difficult for the sailors to stay for four days without electricity and air conditioning, according to those involved.

Former US Navy Captain Carl Schuster recounts his experience of such a situation: He once spent nearly four hours without power on a destroyer near Puerto Rico.

“It’s a stressful situation,” Schuster said. Operations officers worry about the morale and performance of the crew. Engineers are busy troubleshooting problems. Navigators worry about where the ship is going and what kind of weather is coming. The ship’s commanding and executive officers also have to think about these things and wait for help to arrive.

According to him, the stress of being without power for four hours on the southeastern coast of Puerto Rico is nothing compared to being in the same situation for four days in the South China Sea.

The US Navy said another US warship, the USS Robert Smalls, provided cooked meals for Benfold during the power outage. Other ships from the USS George Washington Carrier Strike Group, stationed in Japan, also assisted Benfold during those four days.

Benfold was later towed to Subic Bay, Philippines for repairs. Her repairs were completed on 8 August. The ship then returned to duty.

The USS Benfold normally operates as part of a carrier strike group surrounding the USS George Washington. The George Washington is currently en route to the Middle East, where it is scheduled to relieve the USS Abraham Lincoln and its strike group, which are conducting operations against Iran.

The US Navy has not said whether Benfold was sent to waters near Iran with the George Washington. USNI News reported that Japanese ship observers saw Benfold arrive in Japan.

This is the second time a US Navy destroyer has lost power in the Pacific Command area. The USS Higgins lost power and navigation for several hours in May in the Indo-Pacific region. The US Navy said that the incident was caused by a “technical error” in the electrical system.

Arleigh Burke-class destroyers, like the Benfold and Higgins, are key warships in the US Navy’s surface fleet. More than 70 such destroyers are currently in service with the Navy.

The ships are about 500 feet long and weigh about 10,000 tons, depending on their configuration. Each ship can carry between 329 and 359 sailors.

CHAT